8/126 Margaret Street Brisbane QLD 4000


Asked Questions

CTP Claims Process?

The following is an overview of the CTP claims process:

  1. Complete & submit claim
  2. Lodgement confirmation
  3. Rehabilitation & Treatment
  4. Liability assessment
  5. Insurer obtains information
  6. Injury stablised
  7. Claim negotiation
  8. Claim settlement

QLD PI Lawyers can provide the services and support of lawyers with particular expertise in handling car accident claims to help you navigate the CTP claims process.

What To Do After A Car Accident?

What you do after a car accident can affect what you can recover when you claim compensation for injuries or damages. Immediately after a motor vehicle accident, you should take the following steps:

  • Collect information from those involved in the accident and who witnessed the accident.
  • Seek medical attention immediately.
  • If it is possible, advise the police of your accident. If you are unable to report the accident immediately to the police, you should do so as soon as you are able to (if the police do not attend the scene).

What if I don’t know the registration or cannot locate the ‘at fault’ vehicle or the registration is not current?

In Queensland, it is the government CTP Insurer known as the “Nominal Defendant” which handles claims where: –

(a) You do not know the registration number of the ‘at fault’ vehicle? (ie a “hit and run”);

(b) If the car was not registered.

There are additional time limits and hurdles that you need to overcome in these cases. The Nominal Defendant will require you to conduct “proper search and inquiry” to find the vehicle.

Our experienced Brisbane car accident lawyers can assist you to claim against the Nominal Defendant.

What kind of compensation can I claim?

  • Hospital expenses – may include ambulance costs, hospital treatment, consultations and surgeries
  •       Medical and rehabilitation expenses – can include medicine, treatments, and other authorised recovery expenses
  •       Lost income and future earnings due to being unable to work – may include interest from lost income and compensation for lost opportunities to work
  •       Pain and suffering – commonly known as ‘general damages’, these are the claims for any pain, suffering or loss of enjoyment of life because of your injury